Chemistry Degree Requirements
Entrance to Major Requirements
In order to be eligible for entrance to the Chemistry major, a student must have:
- Attained at least a 2.00 cumulative grade-point average
- Completed and earned both a grade of C or better and a combined grade point average of at least 2.50 in each of the following courses: CHEM 110, CHEM 111, CHEM 112, CHEM 113, CHEM 210, MATH 140, and MATH 141. Note: If courses are repeated, only the higher grade will be used in this calculation.
- Please visit the Penn State Undergraduate Bulletin for the latest up-to-date Chemistry degree requirements.
Grade-Related Graduation Requirements
- A grade of C or better in all Chemistry courses, including 400-level electives
- An overall GPA of 2.0 or higher
For the Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry, a minimum of 125 credits is required:
- General Education: 45 credits
- Requirements for the Major: 94 credits
15 of the 45 credits for General Education are included in the Requirements for the Major. This includes: 9 credits of GN courses; 6 credits of GQ courses.