Mathematics at Penn State
Five things to know about our graduate program:
- Large and diverse faculty (about 60 tenure and tenure-track) covering a wide range of pure and applied mathematics.
- Several world-class research groups and centers.
- All Teaching Assistants given one semester training program before they begin teaching undergraduate classes.
- Competitive stipends and low cost of living.
- Safe and lively University town in the beautiful Allegheny mountains, in driving proximity to NYC, DC, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh.
Friday Student Lunch Seminar
You may join the CAM students and faculty for lively discussion and some eating: pizza and soda will be provided to you for free after the 30-minute talk.
The Penn State Math Club
A Penn State student organization, its purpose is to promote the interest of mathematics at Penn State and to aid math students or anyone with an interest in mathematics, and also to promote interaction among math undergraduates, graduates and faculty.
Every Thursday that classes are in session, the department gathers in Room 114MB (the
Synergistic Room) for tea, coffee, light snacks, and conversation. It is an important opportunity for everyone--graduate students, faculty, instructors, staff, and visitors--to meet and get to know one another in an informal way. Everyone is welcome!
Women in Mathematics
Women in Mathematics is a group of undergraduate students, graduate students, postdocs, instructors, and other faculty members of the mathematics department at Penn State. Our main objective is to provide support and information to the women within the mathematics community at PSU at all levels, from undergraduate students to faculty members.
Penn State SIAM Student Chapter
Our aims are:
Develop students’ interest in applied mathematics problems;
Encourage students to share ideas and collaborate;
Help students explore career opportunities